1886 | Jewell Station
Series 01 | Part 3/7
Brunswick's building blocks
Place: Jewell Station
The railway system that Moreland Station served carved an indelible mark in the landscape and signified the progression of the colonisation of Australia: that white settlers were here to stay.
Railway corridors were informed by resource boons such as clay and stone in Brunswick, and gold in Central Victoria. They began to define localities and destinations: conversely expanding and limiting exploration, and opportunity. Brunswick’s largest brickworks by virtue of ingenuity was Hoffmans’: of the 17 brickyards at the peak of the brick industry, they most likely supplied bricks for Jewell, Brunswick, Anstey, Moreland, and Coburg Station’s construction. In 1886, Hoffman’s capitalized on the opportunity the Upfield line posed as a viable form of shifting bulk product into the lucrative Melbourne market. They opened a siding controlled by South Brunswick Station (now Jewell Station) that linked its operations in Dawson Street with the railway via Phoenix Street and into Melbourne.
Stay tuned for more field tests: marking time in and around Brunswick and Moreland Station for the duration of MoreArts 2016, October 23 - December 18.
To share this page click on the social media buttons below…