1884 | Brunswick's drainpipes
Series 01 | Part 4/7
Brunswick's building blocks
Place: Brunswick's drainpipes
As the town grew – so did the desires of its new settlers for the land to be made amenable. Prior to white settlement – the area between the Yarra and Maribyrnong rivers (encompassing the City of Moreland) was known as Iramoo and regarded as hallowed ground by the Wurundjeri-Willam line of the white tree clan. Its fertile flood plains and rich flora and fauna defined its topography. Upon colonisation the Wurundjeri-Willam were tragically displaced, and the natural environs irrevocably changed. From the outset the ‘swampy’ character and muddy streets of the area was the source of much dissatisfaction, and in 1884 the introduction of new drains finally alleviated this characteristic. The drainpipes were most likely made at Cornwell’s Pottery and Brick Works from vitrified clay-pipe: one was installed at Blyth Street behind Beith and Blair Streets, another at Loyola Avenue.
These two forms of one place in our recent past reveal a microcosm of the bigger picture of Australia’s colonisation: in the re-writing of place so much has been lost.
Stay tuned for more field tests: marking time in and around Brunswick and Moreland Station for the duration of MoreArts 2016, October 23 - December 18.
To share this page click on the social media buttons below…