1849 | Brunswick Park
Series 01 | Part 6/7
Brunswick's building blocks
Place: Brunswick Park
John Glew discovered the first suitable clay deposit for manufacturing bricks in Brunswick in 1849.
Thomas Manallack, a Cornishman proficient in brick making taught Glew how to make bricks, and from these humble beginnings Brunswick’s brick industry was born. At this time Brunswick was still a fairly isolated rural community, with dirt roads and little amenities. The discovery of gold in Central Victoria in 1851 transformed Brunswick into a convenient pit-stop en-route from Melbourne to the goldfields. Hotels, shops and traders soon established along Sydney Road. After a relatively brief stint on the goldfields, Manallack returned to Brunswick in 1852. Flush from his luck on the goldfields, Manallack opened a brickyard on Albert Street. Gold made many rich, creating demand for housing and consequently; bricks. In 1857 Jenkin Collier and Robert Barry (owners of the Sarah Sands hotel) established a concern to construct the railway stations along the Bendigo line. They opened a brickyard at Collier Crescent, Phillipstown to provide the bricks, and within just 6 years the site was worked out. John Glew’s first brickyard in Hodgson Street, Phillipstown was worked out by 1857.
Stay tuned for more field tests: marking time in and around Brunswick and Moreland Station for the duration of MoreArts 2016, October 23 - December 18.
Siting (temporary ephemeral art work): Brunswick Park, Victoria Street, Brunswick.
To share this page click on the social media buttons below…